- StarHub presents French Open in 3D to all residential TV customers for the first time -
- StarHub secures broadcast rights to 2011 Copa America -
Singapore, 24 May 2011 – StarHub TV today announced an exciting line-up of key sports events to whet the appetites of sports fanatics in the coming months. For the first time ever, viewers in Singapore will be able to catch the French Open Finals in 3D on StarHub TV, in the comfort of their own homes. StarHub TV will also once again air the 2011 Copa America starting the first week of July.
Roland Garros French Open
The French Open, more commonly known as Roland Garros, is one of the most popular tournaments in the tennis calendar. The 2011 event recently premiered on Racquet Channel (StarHub TV Channel 211). Defending champion Rafael Nadal, who has won the Men’s Singles title at five editions of the French Open, may have to give up his crown this time to make way for current World No. 2 Novak Djokovic. Djokovic defeated Nadal twice on clay this year – once at the recent Rome Masters and the other earlier in Madrid this year. Will the Djok make it an unprecedented hat-trick of clay court victories over Nadal and secure his first Grand Slam on clay; will the Muscles of Mallorca run himself ragged to salvage his clay court season and take an unprecedented sixth Roland Garros title, or will World No. 3 Roger Federer take the world by surprise and snatches the title from the two hot favourites?
“To be able to telecast the French Open Finals in 3D is a milestone for StarHub. We are glad that we can bring this tournament to our sports-fanatic customers in the comfort of their own homes while they enjoy the ‘live’ experience. We are certain the viewing pleasures of our customers will be enhanced richly as they watch the highly anticipated clay court action of the year happening right before their very eyes in 3D,” said Ms Sandie Lee, StarHub’s Vice President of Content Services.
For the first time, StarHub TV Sports Group customers with a 3DTV set will be able to catch the French Open Men’s and Women’s Singles Finals ‘live’ in 3D on Sports 3D (StarHub TV Channel 258). Interested Sports Group customers will require a HubStation HD, HD Interactive or HD set-top box to watch the matches in 3D. For more information on how to tune in to the matches ‘LIVE’ in 3D, please refer to Annex 1.
2011 Copa America
Making its return to StarHub TV this year, the Copa America tournament is likened to be the UEFA Euro of South America. This year’s Copa America will see 10 South American countries and two invited teams taking part in the tournament, whereby the winner will go on to represent South America at the 2013 Confederations Cup. The participating countries are Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela while the two invited teams are from Costa Rica and Mexico.
Football Channel (StarHub TV Channel 222) will air all 26 matches ‘live’ from 1 to 24 July 2011. Football fans can expect to catch stars like Lionel Messi, Robinho, Diego Forlan and Antonio Valencia in action at the upcoming tournament and cheer their favourite teams on. Defending champions Brazil will be in for a tough fight with first runner-up Argentina in the 43rd edition of the Copa America tournament.
“To entice the sports fans further, Copa America will be played throughout the month of July. As the sole broadcaster of this tournament in Singapore, we are glad to offer our customers the UEFA Euro of South America and catch the highly anticipated performance of world class players from renowned teams,” added Ms Lee.
Both French Open and 2011 Copa America are available on Sports HD (StarHub TV Channel 255) and are available online at www.starhub.com/beentertained. Existing customers using a HubStation, HubStation HD or HD Interactive set-top box may add the Sports Group by simply tuning in to any of the channels in the Sports Group, and pressing the blue button on their remote controls to subscribe to start viewing the channels instantly. The public who wish to take on a StarHub TV package may call 1630 or visit www.starhub.com/tv for more information.
How to watch a ‘live’ 3D programme?
· Tune to the designated channel showing the 3D programme. You will see two side-by-side images on the channel.
· If you do not have 3D TV sets, you will not be able to view the programme in 3D. Simply tune to the channel that is showing the programme in 2D.
· For customers with 3D TV sets, you can press the “3D” button on your TV set remote control to set your TV set to 3D mode. As the steps may differ among the 3D TV sets from the various TV manufacturers, we would recommend you to refer to your TV manual on the exact procedures.
· Select the “Side-by-side” mode in your 3D settings, after confirmation, the screen will display a “Blurred” image.
· Put on your 3D glasses to start enjoying the programme in 3D. If you are using an active pair of 3D glasses, do remember to power on your glasses.
· When you tune to other 2D channels or when you wish to use the TV Guide, do remember to change your TV set settings back to 2D.